Friday, April 25, 2014

New Embroideries on Paper/Wood


I've been spending the last few weeks working on this new series of embroideries on paper.  I like the contrast of the delicate thread and thick watercolor paper, and the way my planned and carefully pre-poked holes lead to chaotic floats of thread.  I also recently picked up some birch veneer on a whim and started some ideas in a new direction.  Again the material contrast is driving my exploration, and the contrast between the organic, naturally formed patterns of the wood and traditional geometric embroidery designs which act as a nature analog.

Emergence IV (Ithsmi),  20" x 16" Thread on Paper

Emergence V, 20" x 16" Thread on Paper


Emergence VI, 20" x 16" Thread on Paper

Sample, 10" x 8" Thread on Birch Veneer

No comments:

Post a Comment